Updated for December, 2021
Nearly 28.8 million adults could benefit from a hearing aid, according to the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communications Disorders. The high prices of custom hearing aids, however, can discourage users from purchasing them.
MDHearingAid has been in the business of direct-to-consumer hearing aids for over a decade and claims to offer medical-grade devices at affordable prices. In our MDHearingAid review, we examine the company’s three different models, along with real customer reviews, to see if these budget-friendly hearing aids are really worth it.
- Three medical-grade hearing aid models
- Affordable prices and frequent deals
- No equipment fees, no hidden costs
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Mobile app that connects with Core model
- 45-day money back guarantee
- 90-day warranty
- Audiologists on staff to answer customer questions
Why You Can Trust Our Expert Review
Our experts independently research and recommend products we believe provide value in the lives of our readers. We’ve spent collectively more than 5,000 hours conducting in-depth research on hearing aids. Throughout this process, we did the following:
- Engaged in ongoing independent research
- Consulted with independent audiologists
- Consulted with geriatric care experts
- Mystery shopped the brands
- Surveyed hundreds of hearing aid users
- Tested various models of hearing aids
- Interviewed experts in the field
- Read thousands of verified customer reviews from trusted third parties such as Better Business Bureau and Consumer Reports
Why We Chose to Review MDHearingAid
We chose to review MDHearingAid because this is one of the most affordable hearing aid brands on the market. Choosing hearing aids is about more than price, however, and we wanted to look at the details ourselves to see if MDHearingAid is a quality brand.
We like that MDHearingAid makes purchasing medical-grade, FDA-registered hearing aids accessible to more people with an online shopping process and on-staff audiologist support. We also like the 45-day risk-free trial that lets you test the hearing aids for yourself. While they aren’t customizable, MDHearingAid does offer several different models with multiple features at very affordable prices.
Pros and Cons of MDHearingAid
- One of the most affordable brands for non-customized hearing aids
- An on-staff audiologist to answer email questions
- Money-back guarantee. If you’re not satisfied you have 45 days to return the hearing aid
- 45-day risk-free trial
- 90-day warranty
- All hearing aids are medical-grade and FDA-registered to ensure you get a quality product
- Online shopping, free shipping, and 0% financing offered through Affirm financing.
- Frequent BOGO (buy one get one free) deals
- Not custom hearing aids, meaning they’re not customized to fit your ear or adjusted to your specific degree of hearing loss; they use volume dials and program controls via phone app to adjust sound
- May not be best for those with severe or profound hearing loss
- One size fits most; by combining various clear tubes, tips, and ear domes, the components of a hearing aid, MDHearingAids fit most adult ears
Compare MDHearingAid at a Glance
|Type||Behind-the-ear (BTE)||Behind-the-ear (BTE)||Behind-the-ear (BTE)|
|Cost||$399.99 per ear||$599.98 per ear||$799.99 per ear|
|Battery Life||21-26 days||24-30 hours with full charge||5-6 days|
|Volume Control||Volume Dial||Volume Dial||Smartphone app or push-button|
|Type of Hearing Loss||Mild to moderately severe||Mild to moderately severe||Mild to moderately severe|
|Noise Reduction||4 environment settings for quiet, social, noisy & phone||4 environment settings for quiet, social, noisy & phone||4 environment settings for quiet, social, noisy & phone|
*All three MDHearingAid models adjust volume by a simple touch-of-the-finger volume dial. The CORE creates a soundmap of your hearing to further customize your hearing preferences on the app.
MDHearingAid Models Offered
MDHearingAid AIRBuy Now
- Type: BTE
- Cost: $399.99 per ear
- Battery: Replaceable, size 13
- Type of Hearing Loss: Mild to moderate
If you’re looking to hear more clearly in a variety of daily settings, like at home in a quiet environment or out in a noisy restaurant, the MDHearingAid AIR is a great choice. It features a digital amplifier in a sleek mini model with a standard earmold to fit comfortably for most adults.
This is the most budget-friendly option and is a no-frills hearing aid that can still provide quality sound. It does forgo a number of advanced features like dual microphones, Bluetooth connectivity, a rechargeable battery, and water resistance to make it more affordable. Still, this is a great budget-friendly option if you live with mild to moderate hearing loss.
MDHearingAid VOLT+Buy Now
- Type: BTE
- Cost: $599.98 per ear
- Battery: Rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- Type of Hearing Loss: Mild to moderate
A step up from the budget-friendly AIR, the MDHearingAid VOLT+ is a water resistant, long-lasting rechargeable hearing aid. It includes a dual microphone that allows you hear the sounds you need to, rather than background or white noise. The VOLT+ includes all of the same features as the AIR model, but offers a rechargeable battery and water resistance.
Many reviewers were impressed with the VOLT+ 24-30 hour battery life, as well as its portable magnetic charging case that holds three full charges. This means less time fussing with tiny batteries or waiting for your hearing aid to recharge. We like that the VOLT+ has four audio settings that allow you to hear in a variety of environments, as well as advanced feedback cancellation and noise reduction capabilities, allowing you to hear what’s important.
MDHearingAid COREBuy Now
- Type: BTE
- Cost: $799.99 per ear
- Battery: Replaceable 312 batteries
- Type of Hearing Loss: Mild to moderate
The MDHearingAid CORE helps you optimize and customize your hearing. With Bluetooth connectivity, it syncs to your smartphone and provides a customizable hearing aid experience more advanced than the other MDHearingAid models. It works with the simple to use MDHearingAid app that allows you to make changes easily.
The CORE also automatically detects and adjusts for environmental noise, delivering clear quality sound in a variety of environments. It doesn’t have telecoil technology, so you won’t be able to connect to audio systems in theaters and auditoriums, and it isn’t water resistant or rechargeable. However, we like the CORE model because of the level of personalization it provides for a very reasonable price.
Price and Payment Options
MDHearingAid offers three different hearing aid models at different price points. These prices are typically much lower than custom hearing aids from an audiologist’s office. They also feature frequent buy one, get one free deals to help customers purchase a pair of hearing aids for half the price. Here is the base price for each MDHearingAid model:
AIR: $399.99 per ear
VOLT+: $599.99 per ear
CORE: $799.99 per ear
They also offer 0% interest, 12-month financing through Affirm.
You can test any model of MDHearingAid with their 45-day risk-free return policy. If you’re not satisfied with your hearing aid, you can return it for a full refund.
MDHearingAid also offers a warranty against defects and workmanship for 90 days. If your device fails to work within the warranty period, MDHearingAid will repair or replace it free of charge.
Customer Service and Satisfaction
MDHearingAid offers customer support by phone at 1-800-918-3914, Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 6:00 pm CST.
They also offer customer support via email at [email protected] 24/7 for questions and problems. Customer support is closed most national holidays.
WIth an on-staff audiologist, MDHearingAid can evaluate your most recent hearing test and recommend which hearing aid might work best.
MDHearingAid App and Accessories
MDHearingAid offers a variety of accessories for each model. Here are some of the accessories available through the MDHearingAid site:
- Tubing tips and replacement tubes
- Carrying case
- Earwax rinse kit
- Cleaning tool set
- Comfort tips
- Changing cord
- Thin tubing
- Charger and charging case
- Replacement batteries
- Dehumidifier jar
- UV Clean & Dry Box
The MDHearing App is available for iOs version 10 and higher, for Android version 5 and higher. It is only compatible with the CORE hearing aid.
While MDHearingAid devices are not custom hearing aids, they do allow you to customize the settings to a certain extent. Each hearing aid features volume control and four program settings for different noise environments.
With the MDHearingAid CORE model, you can personalize your hearing aid and optimize it for your specific needs via the smartphone app. You can create a personal profile using a smartphone or tablet and select the options that are right for your hearing needs. The app allows you to adjust the sounds that you hear so you can hear the sounds you want like a close conversation and less of the sounds you don’t want to hear like background noise.
MDHearingAid Online Test
MDHearingAid offers an eight-minute online hearing test free of charge. Designed to work with headphones, you can take the test by creating a profile on their website. Results provide personal information on your hearing and your degree of hearing loss. Note that this hearing test is not meant to take the place of an in-person exam and hearing test with an audiologist.
Things to Consider Before Purchasing a Hearing Aid
When shopping for a hearing aid, it’s important to research different brands, different styles, and the technology options that make sense for you. Here are five specific things you should do before buying a hearing aid:
- Have your hearing evaluated by an audiologist. This is necessary for you to purchase a hearing aid, even online through MDHearingAid.
- Get recommendations from your hearing professional on which type of hearing aid would best work for your type of hearing loss.
- Find out if the hearing aid you are considering is able to increase power in case your hearing needs change.
- Make sure your hearing aid includes a warranty.
- Know that hearing aids don’t restore your hearing but allow you to eliminate background noise to help you hear what you want to hear more clearly.
MDHearingAid Reviews: What Customers Say
“The help and service I have received has been great. From losing one to having one stop working, I have been completely satisfied with the speedy resolution of my problems by efficient, caring, staff. This is rare today and greatly appreciated.” – Rex H., BBB
“Excellent customer service. Representatives are knowledgeable, courteous and prompt.My Volt rechargeable hearing aids work well and I am pleased with them. I think it’s a great product at a reasonable price.” – Douglas S., BBB
“I’ve had two pairs of MD hearing aids. I have enjoyed good hearing with both battery powered and the Volt that is rechargeable. I like the Bolt better. It has better quality sound and better volume control. I really like being able to recharge them quickly. Customer service has been wonderful through all my experience.” – Brenda C., BBB
Is MDHearingAid any good?
MDHearingAids are budget-friendly hearing aid options that work well for many people with mild to moderate hearing loss. They are relatively low-tech and do not include many of the bells and whistles of more expensive custom hearing aids.
Is MDHearingAid FDA approved?
MDHearingAid devices are class 1 medical devices that must register with the FDA annually. The hearing aids are FDA registered. FDA approval means the FDA has decided the benefits of a drug or product outweigh its risks. MDHearing aids are not FDA approved, only FDA registered.
Is MDHearingAid a PSAP?
MDHearingAids are not a PSAP (Personal Sound Amplifying Product). PSAPs simply amplify sounds whereas hearing aids help distinguish sounds and amplify only those sounds that help in hearing conversation. PSAPs are designed for normal hearing people to amplify their surrounding sound, while hearing aids are designed for people who have hearing loss.
How long do MDHearingAid batteries last?
Depending on the model, MDHearingAid batteries can last from 6-40 days depending on use.
MDHearingAid batteries are designed specifically to have among some of the longest lasting battery life in the industry. The VOLT+ rechargeable battery can last for 24 hours on a full charge.
- NIH National Institute on Deafness. Quick Stats on Hearing. https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/statistics/quick-statistics-hearing
- Mayo Clinic. Hearing Aids How to Choose the Right One. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hearing-loss/in-depth/hearing-aids/art-20044116
- Consumer Affairs. How Much Do Hearing Aids Cost? https://www.consumeraffairs.com/health/hearing-aid-cost.html